Wednesday 20 February 2013

Confidence in what we Hope for

Thinking about faith today after talking to my sister about having faith and not giving up on trusting that God has something good for us. 

If we really examine ourselves most of us are lacking in our faith. 

I often feel like I am trusting God and then something happens to make me realize how much I was really leaning on my own abilities and not God.  

There have been many times in my life where I have given things over to God and had to continually offer them back to him again after fighting to keep control.  Being pregnant was one of the things that for me was the hardest things I have done to date.  It felt completely and totally out of my control.  

There was nothing I could do other than to eat well and take care of myself, to help my child develop normally. It was entirely in God's hands. No amount of worry would change anything, but I found myself getting caught up in the worry and fear of the unknown. 

I refused to have my doctor do a test during an ultrasound, they wanted to see if the baby had a possibility of having Down Syndrome. My thinking behind it was that I trusted God that the baby was safe and healthy, that He was in control, and that finding out would not change the fact that I was keeping the baby. I knew that doing the test and having them find something would just cause unnecessary worry, stress, and more testing. I had to just trust God. 

We are constantly worrying and fearing for our children. We basically make them live in bubbles afraid of everything around us and this unsafe, sinful world we live in.  But God has a plan for us and for our children, we need to trust him and that He is in control. (I am not saying let your kids roam free and wild, we still need to use common sense for their safety.) We need to let them live, and experience life, the world, and Gods love for the world. 



Hebrews 11:1 says 
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.



When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. “Lord, have mercy on my son,” he said. “He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water.  I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him.”
“You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me.” Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed at that moment.
 Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”
 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
Matthew 17:14-21


Take a read of Hebrews 11. It is full of wonderful examples of real faith in action. 

By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
verse 3

By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.
verse 7

By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.
Verse 23

By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.
verse 29 


No comments:

Post a Comment