Monday 13 May 2013

Call Her Blessed

Happy Mothers Day!

Sorry I am late to say it but things were pretty busy last week. Hubby went to help his parents move from 8 hours away from us to only 2 hours from us! It will be so nice to be able to visit them more and have them more involved in our kids lives.

While Hubby went to help them, I stopped halfway there and stayed with my parents for a few days. It was a blast.  We haven't traveled with the little E man much yet so we were a little hesitant but he did well (after the first night). It took him a little getting used to being in a different bed and house but he figured it out.

Our first evening there we had a fun supper, took the kids on a wagon rife to the park with Grandma and Grandpa, and visited with one of my best friends. The kids were very excited to see my parents new puppies and fish and it took them a little while to get to sleep after all the excitement of the day.

Over the 5 days we were there we played at the park, shopped at 2 different malls, went to my mom's work for lunch, visited my dad's work, saw some fossils and crawling critters with my mom, had a wiener and marshmallow roast with old friends, and had pizza at Hubby's parents new place.  To finish off the weekend we threw a little surprise get together for Hubby's Birthday and then had a great breakfast and lunch to celebrate Mother's Day.

It was a great weekend.

Hubby always has a hard time with me for Mother's Day.  He figures that since I am not his mom, he doesn't need to do anything for me. But now that we have done this a few times, he understands that I expect a little bit of effort from him since our kids are too small to do it themselves.

This year he made me a beautiful, giant ruler that I found on Pinterest. It is a growth chart and he did an amazing job. I love it and am so excited to use it. 

That is the kind of present I really cherish. Something that I can use for years and that will be a keepsake forever. Also it means so much more to me that he had to put some effort into it. That is one of the biggest things that speaks to my heart, effort. I love knowing that some thought and effort had to be put into something.  A quick love note is wonderful, but a notebook full of love notes from our youth, that would blow me away. 

Hubby made a joke this weekend after he had already given me my gift from him and the kids but before they had given me the cute little card that he had purchased and they coloured all over. He was laughing and making light of my desires to be honoured by him and my kids on Mother's Day.  When we finally had a moment to ourselves I told him how much that hurt and how really, all I want is a nice day with my family and to hear how loved I am.  

I know I am not a perfect mother. I have finally accepted the fact that I will never be like my mom. And I know that I will learn and grow each year and that sometimes I will feel like I am failing miserably as a parent.  But at least one day a year I long to hear how much they love me (Hopefully it will happen more than that since my love language is words of affirmation) and how they appreciate what I do. 

I am pretty proud of being a mom.  I wouldn't pick any other job and I love that I have the chance to stay at home with my kids.  I am happy to be growing smart, healthy, loving, compassionate, and hopefully, God following children. 

Even if we think Mother's Day is stupid and a "Hallmark holiday", its a good reminder to, at least, say thank you to the people who have given us life. 


 I hope your days were wonderful and God Blessed. 



Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:

“Many women do noble things,     
but you surpass them all."
Proverbs 31:28-29


little man climbing up a slide
swinging with Grandpa
So excited by every "dinosaur" she saw



No comments:

Post a Comment