Tuesday 14 May 2013

Who Am I?



When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!”
And Moses said, “Here I am.”
Exodus 3:4



The angel of the Lord found Hagar near a spring in the desert; it was the spring that is beside the road to Shur. And he said, “Hagar, slave of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?”
“I’m running away from my mistress Sarai,” she answered.
Then the angel of the Lord told her, “Go back to your mistress and submit to her.” The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”...
 She gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her: “You are the God who sees me,” for she said, “I have now seen the One who sees me.” That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi; it is still there, between Kadesh and Bered.
Genesis 16:8-10 & 13-14


Most of us struggle with low self image. I feel like that is because we struggle to understand who we are, who we were made to be and what our purpose is. 

God knows who we are. Many times in the Bible He calls people by name Abraham, Moses, Jacob, Samuel,Saul...  


Moses had been living with the Egyptians for years and likely had very little idea of who this God of his Father was.  But God knew him.  

God met Hagar in the desert, He called her by name and knew her situation. She was so amazed by it that she called the Lord, the God who sees me (El Roi in Hebrew). 

We often struggle to understand who we are in Christ. We forget that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. And that we were created with purpose.  I know that I personally, get caught up in the world and what they view as important. I find myself trying to measure up to their standards of importance, beauty, wealth, power, and situation. 

What happens when I fall into that is that I loose sight of who I am in Christ. Who I was created by and what I was created to be. My self image ends up being tied up in others and their view of me when it should be solely based on what the Father thinks of me. 

There are a few things that we need to believe about ourselves so that we can begin to grasp the truth about who we are in God. (Interesting thing about the ASL sign for believe: it is a combination of Think and Hold onto


He knows us, and calls us by name.  He stands at the door and knocks waiting and hoping that we will let him in. He knows us inside and out and still chooses to pursue us. 

But now thus says the Lord,
he who created you, O Jacob,
    he who formed you, O Israel:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have called you by name, you are mine.

Isaiah 43:1

The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
John 10:3

 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 
John 10:14-15


He knows us. 

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Jeremiah 1:5

everyone who is called by my name,
    whom I created for my glory,
    whom I formed and made.”

Isaiah 43:7

I am made new in Him

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:17-19

We are God's Children

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 
1 John 5:1

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 
1 John 3:1


Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
John 1:12-13



 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, 
1 Thessalonians 1:4



And most importantly,  We are in Christ and Christ is in Us. We are Alive in Him.

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised usup together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:5-10







No comments:

Post a Comment