Wednesday 5 December 2012

In My Tummy

Last night as we were driving home from the new house after our prayer time, I was pointing out the Christmas lights to Little A. She got so excited about them once I told her that they were special Birthday lights for Jesus.  " They are to remind us that Jesus' Birthday is coming, and that He is the light of the world."

The rest of the way home she would exclaim, " There's more birthday lights!" "Look more birthday lights for Jesus!"

It was so much fun. I love getting to share her joy in this season. She is still to young to really understand all the craziness that we all get sucked into with the gifts, the food, and the stress. To her this is just going to be a birthday party for Jesus. 

As we were nearing our home she said, " Jesus was in mommies tummy." She says things so matter-of-factly it is hard not to just laugh. 


Holding back a giggle I responded, "No honey, E was in mommies tummy. Jesus lives in my heart." 

"Oh?" she responded in a puzzled voice, "Baby Jesus lives in my tummy."

"No honey he doesn't live in your tummy. He used to be in his mommy Mary's tummy but then she had him and he was in the manger remember the story?"

"Yeah, he is a nice baby." she paused, " He is in mommies heart."

"Yes he is A. Mommy asked him to come and live in my heart and take away my sins and take me to heaven. We just have to ask him and he will live in our hearts."

"Look more birthday lights!" distracted little almost two year old replies. 

I was slightly surprised to be having that conversation with my child already. She is just a month away from being two. I really didn't expect to be trying to explain salvation to her yet. 

I think that she was mostly just intrigued with the whole idea of babies in bellies since I just had little E and she has seen her aunties and my friends that are expecting. She knows that babies come from bellies. That mommy had little E at the hospital ( a place that she liked only because she rode an elevator). She also knows that Jesus' mom was Mary and his dad is Joseph (she talks about how its Jesus birthday, her birthday and then Joseph's birthday) 

This morning she brought it up again as we were driving to the store.  " Jesus lives in my belly" 

"No honey, he doesn't live in your belly. You can ask him to live in your heart. Do you want to?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, pray with mommy then...."

She sat there staring at me in the rear view mirror as I prayed and then she said happily, "amen."

"Jesus lives in my heart mommy." Says the most adorable almost two year old in a very serious ernest voice as she makes her mommies eyes well up with tears. 



They replied, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?”  But the temple he had spoken of was his body. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.
John 2:20-22

Jesus was not talking of the temple but of his own physical body. 
Yesterday we asked the Lord Jesus to come and be in our new home. 
Today our daughter did the same. 
What we did to our physical home she did with her spiritual home.  


Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 


No comments:

Post a Comment