Sunday 2 December 2012

My Failing Patience

I am probably one of the least patient people I know.  I have always really struggled with being patient. 
My mom used to always sing me this horrible annoying song whenever I was getting impatient. 

I went searching for the full lyrics and found this clip of the song.  Enjoy. 



Be patient 
Be patient
Don't be in such a hurry. 
When you get impatient 
You only start to worry. 
Remember, 
Remember, 
That God is patient too
Well,
Think of all the times when 
Others have to wait for you. 


I walk fast and hate when I am stuck behind a "slow walker." (Hubby likes to saunter when we are walking, even when we are in a hurry, he takes it easy) 
Hubby is totally laid back and relaxed most of the time, I am not. I have a plan and an agenda. Things need to get done in a certain amount of time and my way.  ( I blame part of this on being a mom. You kinda learn to hurry when you have to fit things into a small amount of time between naps and feedings) 

I really have been trying to be more patient.  I do fairly well most of the time with having patience for my children. I am not easily thrown by the slow walking of a child, or by the need to stop and look at the scenery and pick up rocks.  But adults, thats a whole different story.  

This weekend I totally failed at being patient. A few horrible examples for you ( they probably dont seem that horrible to you, but it was honestly an epic fail) 

- I took my mom and pregnant sister to the store for some groceries. I stated before hand, this needs to be quick, there is only so much time before E wakes up and starts screaming for his grandpa. ( We had stuff to do at the new house after the groceries were purchased)  Shopping with them completely frazzled me. They walk slow, take their time looking at things, and basically just went a whole lot slower than I thought we should go. I have to admit there was a small part of me that wished that the cart was bigger so I could just stick them both in and speed through the store. 
I was grouchy and frustrated by the third isle.  Not the enjoyable little outing with my mom and sister, that I had expected.  And it was totally my failure to be patient that wrecked it for me, and probably for them. 

- We are in the process of finishing touches of the new house. We had originally planned to be in by this weekend but it took a little longer to get the carpet installers in. So we have had to push things back. This ended up being a great thing since we wouldn't have been ready to move in this weekend anyway. There have been a lot of hold ups and things are behind schedule.   There are always little things that end up taking more time than expected, when doing a whole home reno. 
Anyway, this weekend my parents were here to help so that we could get everything washed up and vacuumed and ready to move in. But the carpet ended up taking longer than expected and me being the impatient person that I am, then began to try to push and force things to happen at my pace.  This is not a good thing when, really, nothing is in my control. So being my impatient self caused more stress for me, my husband, and our friends who are installing the carpet. 

Impatience never helps anything.  It just causes problems for yourself and those around you. 

I have to say, I am actually surprised my mom didn't start singing that song to me today.  Probably was a good thing though, since at the time I probably would have just gotten more angry.  Once removed from the situation, I am normally able to look back and realize my fault. Its hard to see in the heat of the moment though.  So to them, if they are reading this,  I apologize, I am so sorry that I did not respond and show patience and love towards you. My prayer is that next time I will walk in the Spirit and show you what he is doing in me. 

God has called us to be patient.  He calls us to "walk by the Spirit" and one of the fruit of the Spirit is patience.  So if I am walking in the Spirit, I have patience.  Well I am sure I have it, I just choose not to use it and that is not what I am called to do. 



You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself." If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 
For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited,provoking and envying each other.
Galations 5:13-26 



You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions  and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited,provoking and envying each other.
Colossians 1:9-14

 Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; through glory and dishonor, bad reportand good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing;poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.
2 Corinthians 6:4-10



1 Timothy 1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.  But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patienceas an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment