Thursday 22 November 2012

TWO !?!

Little A almost 2 years ago.  She stole my heart and now
has it wrapped around her little fingers. 


It has finally happened.


Little A has hit the "terrible twos."


Man do I hate calling them that.  She is anything but terrible. I love her to death and would give my life for her. Maybe I will begin to call them the Trying Twos, or even the Test my Patience Twos.  Or even better yet the Try To Not Rip All of the Hair off of My Head Twos. (but that doesn't rhyme as nicely)



I knew that someday we would enter into this phase of life, that someday she would develop more of her own personality and character and that she wouldn't want to listen and do exactly as she is told anymore.  She has held off for so long with the tantrums and attitudes and being strong willed, I wondered if maybe we would be the most blessed people on the planet and would have an angel on our hands. The kind of child that loves to please and has no temper and loves to do what she is told.

She is turning two in January.  She is almost there. I knew that it was coming but for some reason it has totally thrown me.

Little A has had her melt downs when she gets too tired. And she has been disobedient many times, but she has always responded right away when told to do something or not to do something.  But now we have entered into a phase of hearing what mommy says and doing the exact opposite.  Like when mommy asked us to come and put on our jacket at the church and we went running and hiding under one of the toys. (of course this isnt a big deal normally but because I had taken the kids to church by myself since hubby was working, and because her little brother was starving and crying at the top of his lungs, I had a lot less patience than normal)

Also we have begun to pretend not to hear mommy.  I had to actually laugh while telling my hubby this because he himself said,  "Oh, I wonder where she learned that from," referring to himself.  Hubby has gotten really proficient at tuning women's voices out.

I was never able to figure out why he seemed to never hear what I was saying when I called to him or asked him to grab something for me (though I am partially to blame for this since I talk at him sometimes without making sure he is focused on me). It was not until we were visiting his parents home and were visiting with his dad and brother and sister in law. My mother in law called to us saying dinner was ready, all of the women heard and left and all the men continued to sit and talk.  I went back up and asked, "Aren't you coming?" I was met with many blank stares and a confused, " coming where?"  None of them heard or payed attention to their mom.  Mr T later fessed up to the fact that he has learned to tune her out, and does the same to me.  What a lovely thing to hear from your husband.

I have been attempting to stop during the day and ask God for patience. Honestly without his help yesterday I don't know how I would have gotten through a very long hard day of being stuck inside because of crazy weather.  ( we had freezing rain followed by a lot of snow, not a good idea to take the kids out in that) I am finding more and more that when the weather is bad and we cannot go out, even if I hadn't planned on going out anyway, it feels like we are trapped.  I like knowing that I have the option of taking them out to play or meeting a friend or even running errands.  It helps to break up the day and eat up some hours.

Today God is having to heap his patience and love on me for my child. I feel like I am falling short.  The way that God wants us to parent our children is honestly beyond our human ability. We can only do it with God. It is through his wisdom and guidance, love and grace, and peace and patience, that we can parent how he intended. Without him we fall short.

Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it. 
John 14:13-14


Whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them. 
Mark 11:24


When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. 
Isaiah 43:2

God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 
1 John 4:16

All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children. 
Isaiah 54:13

so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,  being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.
Colossians 1:10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment